UK Study Visa

UK has always been a dream destination for higher education aspirants from across the world. Be it any stream, the UK has some of the finest Universities, teachers and courses to offer to the students. Hence, there is no surprise in the fact that study visa to the UK is one of the most sought after visas in the entire world today. Thousands (or even more) of students apply for a UK study visa year after year. Thankfully for them, the government of UK hasn’t placed any cap on the number of student visas to be issued each year. Here are some things to keep in mind if you wish to apply for a UK study visa

  • You must start the application process much in advance to the beginning of your course. The process usually takes quite a bit of time and you may end up with lack of time in your hands if you aren’t applying much in advance. It is advised to apply about 3 months prior to the beginning of your course in the UK.
  • The documents that you may need to submit at the time of the Visa applications include the education related documents, proof of your finances or of the person who is financing your study, your biometric information and a compulsory English language test.
  • The usual turnaround time for the decision on your visa is three weeks.

The UK offers different kinds of Visa depending upon the duration and the nature of your course. If you wish to pursue a short term course or an English language course not longer than 11 months, there are two kinds of visas for the same –

  • Short term student visa – This is meant for those who are above 18 years of age and wish to study in the country for a period not extending 6 months. Alternatively, if you wish to take up an English course, this visa would work for a period of 11 months.
  • Short term student (child) visa – This is for those applicants who are below 18 years of age and wish to study in the UK for not more than six months.

In order to pursue long term courses in the UK, there are 2 kinds of visas on offer.

  • Tier 4 (child) student visa – This is meant for students between the ages of 4 and 17 years. Also, if you are between the age of 4 and 15 years and are coming to UK for education, you must get enrolled in an independent fee paying school and not at any government sponsored school.
  • Tier 4 (General) student visa – This visa is for those who are above the age of 16 years and fulfill certain conditions as prescribed by the authorities. Most of the students coming under this visa need to compulsorily take an English language test – Secure English Language Test (SELT) whose guidelines are set by the UK government from time to time.